Thursday, March 13, 2014

TWO BOOKS THAT JUST DIDN'T DO IT FOR ME...

THE TROOP came with a lot of hype behind it. Bloggers raved. Big time authors, like Stephen King and Scott Smith, were just a couple of veterans of the field to give it props.

Cutter (the name is pseudonym) is a talented writer. My problem was with the story. I just didn't find it thrilling or suspenseful.

THE TROOP is about a group of boys spending a wilderness weekend, along with their scoutmaster, on a secluded island off the coast of Prince Edward Island. In the middle of the night a strange man shows up in a boat and it isn't long before shit hits the fan.

I would definitely pick up his next novel but THE TROOP just didn't do it for me. I couldn't stand the boys in the group. Not one of them appealed to me and therefore I just did not care what happened to them. The scoutmaster very quickly went from a strong male role model to a simpering wuss.

The creature or monster was a little on the nasty side but very far from being terrifying or filling me with fear. Once it arrives the book slows way down and I just got bored very quickly.

I got about three quarters of the way through THE TROOP and had to stop. I just felt nothing. I'll give Cutter another shot, but THE TROOP wasted my time.

EX HEROES sucked.

Big time.

I should have known better. I remember reading the first page in the bookstore when it first came out. I thought, "What a boring beginning for a book mashing superheroes and zombies."

Pass.

That said, the series really took off over the last year or two. There are four books in the series and they have quite a following. They also get great reviews on Amazon.

Maybe it was just the opening scene that was dull and boring? Maybe this was a case of judging a book by the first page? Maybe I was wrong? Maybe the series is actually kick-ass?

I've been on a zombie kick lately and so I decided to give it another shot.

I should have stuck with my intuition.

EX HEROES was one of the most disappointing reads. It was incredibly boring. How could that be with superheroes and zombies is anyone's guess but Clines pulls it off. Very frustrating.

BTW, I'm looking for some really kick-ass zombie books that have come out in the last couple years to read. If you have any suggestions leave them in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment